Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Polymath » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:29 pm

Polymath

Subject title: Polymath Empire || 6 months of Game-Making

Hey guys,

My plan is to take 6 months and make a game-prototype as cool as I can make it.
Making the game includes the coding, I do it in Java, the making of the Artworks and, ideally, the composing of a soundtrack, which I am highly unskilled in.
I never wrote a single note in my life.

My initial plan was to rent a place for 6 months, starting on April 1st, so that I have complete silence and can work on this project really focused, but I didnt get the place I chose, somebody else got it, because reasons!
But I will start anyways, because I dont want to wait around another whole month.

So, my YT-Channel is rebranded as "Polymath Empire", link:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIYkXr ... obWeIs3d3w

This is my logo:
polymath_empire_logo_small.jpg

This is the Website, which I coded myself; and it should even work fine, if you open it on your smartphone. It should.. it works on my phone..
http://www.polymath-empire.de

This is the "Artstyle", which is not satisfying, yet, but hopefully will be improved with time:
screen_screenshot1.jpg

And this is the first Dev-Log, which basically sums up, what I already did some time ago and what I am starting with now, and some minor added features:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezr90sEcUWs

Since I can not possibly know, what people would like or not like in a game, and tastes and opinions are so different,
I will just make a game, that I myself would be compelled to play.
And hopefully it will turn out that there are other people in this world with similar taste in games.

So, yeah, it would be great if it should turn out, that even other people than myself find this project interesting.
If so, I would continue the making after the 6 months, and if not, I would have to stop.

Postby fi_le » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:34 pm

fi_le

Nice dude, I'll like seeing this develop!

Good luck.
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby Polymath » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:28 pm

Polymath

April, 1st. From today the 6 months are counting.

Dev-Log #2, already made some nice progress. In my own opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E7WOHg_edg

Postby Polymath » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:19 pm

Polymath

What do you think?
Is the Art-`Style` too simplistic and comicy
or does it have any charme to it?

Screenshot_Polymath_Screen.jpg

Postby svarn » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:31 pm

svarn

This is quite an interesting project. I don't think I've seen anyone around here make actuall game.
As to your question about art style, sorry in advance if I'm beeing too harsh.
I'd say it's a bit too simple, but if that's a first game then it's totaly fine. I'd probably focus on the gameplay part not the artwork. As far as I know the general workflow is to create a working prototype with placeholder graphics, before getting fancy.
The windmills are kinda charming actually, but personally I'm not buying the rest. The choice to put much more details in the background then in the forground is a rather strange one. I feel like that makes the forground look that much more under developed (and that area covers majority of the screen). The characters are also kinda barebones, and I'm not digging the horizontal elipse heads.
All that beeing said, it looks much better then a lot of the "1st game projects" that I've seen. And the artwork is decent enought for me that it wouldn't be a deal breaker if I'd be interested in the game.

I hope that this wasn't overly discouraging, as I'd love to see how your whole game dev project will go.

Postby Polymath » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:13 pm

Polymath

svarn wrote:As to your question about art style, sorry in advance if I'm beeing too harsh.
I'd say it's a bit too simple, but if that's a first game then it's totaly fine. I'd probably focus on the gameplay part not the artwork. As far as I know the general workflow is to create a working prototype with placeholder graphics, before getting fancy.
The windmills are kinda charming actually, but personally I'm not buying the rest. The choice to put much more details in the background then in the forground is a rather strange one. I feel like that makes the forground look that much more under developed (and that area covers majority of the screen). The characters are also kinda barebones, and I'm not digging the horizontal elipse heads.
All that beeing said, it looks much better then a lot of the "1st game projects" that I've seen. And the artwork is decent enought for me that it wouldn't be a deal breaker if I'd be interested in the game.

I hope that this wasn't overly discouraging, as I'd love to see how your whole game dev project will go.

You are not too harsh, I agree to and anticipated every point you made! I thought similar about everything.

I am happy, that you said the windmills are already charming! :)

And you are exactly right - I AM focusing on the gameplay/coding a prototype that fully works with all the desired mechanics, and when that is done, I can replace all artworks, but put the new ones in the same places. So it is a prototype and those are placeholder artworks. And the characters obviously are placeholders, too. ..but not necessarily the wolf, but I might try a realistic looking wolf and see how it looks.
And about the fields-screen, its correct, I will add as much detail to the foreground as in the background.

:) Thanks for the feedback! Every feedback is very appreciated, because without I am flying blind. Especially if the feedback is as detailled and on point like Svarn's was.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is Dev-Log #3.
The game has now a rudimentary Fighting Screen, which I am very happy about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXyX4y9frhE

With more time this will become so awesome!

Postby Polymath » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:51 pm

Polymath

Trying to incrementally decrease the over-simplicity of the coloring.

(very hard btw. when you only have like 150px x 150px for the character.)

WolfScreenB.jpg

WolfScreenB2.jpg

Postby Polymath » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:02 pm

Polymath

I am very happy with the progress I am making.

I made another DevLog today.
PLEASE watch them, even if you dont like my voice or anything, this game is becoming so cool with time!

(all twitching in the video comes from the video editing software and is not inherent to the game)

LINK DevLog #4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEoEUS27Pig

Polymath-Empire_DevLog4_thumbnail.jpg

In case you dont watch, here some Screens
remember: its a (proto-)prototype

fightWolfs.jpg

wolfsDead.jpg

Have a nice day!

Postby Weems » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:53 pm

Weems

I'm digging the art style! This is really shaping up to be a unique game experience. Keep up the great work, Polymath!

Postby Polymath » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:22 pm

Polymath

Weems wrote:I'm digging the art style! This is really shaping up to be a unique game experience. Keep up the great work, Polymath!

Thank you very much. Glad to hear that.

Maybe a little bit more Art this time?
This is concept art applied, i guess.

Guard

guard_armor.jpg

guardWw.jpg

GuardInScreen.jpg

Also, you might meet this nice fellow in the course of the game. Can you recognize who it is? The name of the project might help.

L1.png

Postby Polymath » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:15 pm

Polymath

In case you really were able to resist the urge to watch the video

Crusader Knights

knight_poses_coll1b.jpg

A "piece" - WIP

crusade_WIP.jpg

Return to Sketchbook