Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Warkgnall » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:34 am

Warkgnall

Subject title: Warkgnall's Sketchbook [NSFW?]

About the NSFW tag: There will be nudity, but none of the stuff that actually matters (e.g. sexually explicit content, gore, obscenity). There may be some fairly disturbing (but technically SFW) images though, so proceed with mild caution and on open mind.

About me: I am a 17 year-old ex-high-school student who has a little more free time now than he did in school and who would like to devote more of it to ARTISTIC IMPROVEMENT or something.
Please feel free to point out mistakes and problem areas in my work boldly and without fear of offending me. I am tough, and I want to improve quickly.

I don't feel like sifting through old art and providing you a history of my artistic development, so I'll show you some stuff I've done recently and hopefully I'll be frequently posting new stuff I do. You can look at all the things I post to my sketchbook here or by going to my Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/mx1k0. My sketchbook tends to be less focused studies and more doodles and occasional drawing from reference, so I apologize for the mess, I guess.

Spoiler: show
I did the first part of this page while watching the Sinix video on butts.
These last 3 were from a Croquis Cafe video.

Spoiler: show
Here are some paintings I tried to do recently in Corel Painter

Also I plan to start attending weekly life drawing sessions soon, so that should start showing up here before too very long. Anyway, thanks for looking, tell me in what specific ways I suck (I already know many, but likely not all), and come back in a year or two when I might be better.
- Warkgnall

Postby Warkgnall » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:42 am

Warkgnall

Wow, an update! I started out trying to do poses with gesture and then was just struggling to get the proportions at all correct. Then faces because they're fun.

Postby Steeliebob » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:47 am

Steeliebob

I appreciate how you started your sketchbook with a bunch of buttcracks.
You're of to a good start. :)

Postby Warkgnall » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:47 am

Warkgnall

So, I went to my first life drawing session today. Apparently I'm still struggling a lot with proportion which is very frustrating. I will persevere, however, so that I may get gud.

Postby Warkgnall » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:31 am

Warkgnall

Skulls are good to draw, right?

Postby Warkgnall » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:39 am

Warkgnall

I decided to draw faces from reference with a focus on the planes in order to hopefully internalize the form of the face better or something.

Postby Warkgnall » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:54 am

Warkgnall

Did a copy of a photo for reasons and then had a little crisis where I realized that doing art was pointless if I didn't have a goal, and that if I was going to practice I should figure out what I wanted to get good at and what I wanted to do with art and all that. So I did the weird scrambled face and then some people with disconnected limbs which I find oddly appealing and then sort of just goofed around, trying to enjoy drawing.

Postby Warkgnall » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:38 am

Warkgnall

This is what happens when I paint under line art and then remove the line art. :shock: Also, I did both sexes just for fun.

Postby Warkgnall » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:13 am

Warkgnall

Some doodles and the results of a life drawing session (in real life!).

Proportion is hard, but with the exception of the short-legged pose (1 hour), I think I'm doing better at it.

Postby NesoKaiyoH » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:19 pm

NesoKaiyoH

A good start but I think your work could benefit from using some sort of structural guidelines, such as landmarks on the body, using shapes to jot down the gesture, stuff like that. I recommend checking out Reilly's method or Loomis.
20 - F - Student - Future concept artist and manga illustrator!

My Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?t=11533
My deviantART: http://nesokaiyoh.deviantart.com
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/digitalartistrachelwalpole
My ArtStation: http://www.artstation.com/artist/nesokaiyoh

Postby Warkgnall » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:18 am

Warkgnall

Thanks for the advice, Kaiyo. I will look into that. Here are some pages from yesterday. I watched Sycra's video on drawing the oval planes of the face and tried it out a bit. The second face was done with ovals, but I erased them.

Return to Sketchbook