Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby AlwaysARookie » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:09 pm

AlwaysARookie

Subject title: A Rookies Journey

Hi fellow artists,

this is finally the start of my sketchbook. It's been a long while since I wanted to open one and people like Alphawolfin suggested that I'd just do it so here it is. You can call me Matt, my user name is inspired by MincCandyMans Journey of an Absolute Rookie and the fact that no matter how much we learn we are in so many ways always beginners who can learn more everyday. My goal at the moment is (besides getting better in art in general and figuring out what I want to do after uni) to work on and finish a project that includes learning how to do proper portraits and caricatures. This sketchbook is a way of documenting my progress and expressing my thoughts during it. The whole thing will take time and I welcome everybody to be part of this journey and maybe I can be part of yours too. Feel free to give feedback or suggestions on what I could study (also music to listen and so on) because it is so much to learn and I feel a little lost but thats ok.

I'll start with two sketches from today. I was in a cafe with a friend we talked and I drew a bit in my sketchbook.
sketch 1.JPG
Quick sketches of people in a cafe.
sketch 2.JPG
part of the cafe
Always open for critique and hangouts (or similar apps).

Sketchbook

Postby PitE » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:44 pm

PitE

Glad you started one :) It's especially nice to see the life sketch.

Postby AlwaysARookie » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:13 pm

AlwaysARookie

It's nice to see you here PitE :)

Today I watched some videos of InpursuitofArt and took notes of that. One thing that I found cool was the analogy of growth. He used the picture of a hermit crab that needs to get out of its old shell when it gets too big and needs to find a new and bigger one to keep growing. The transition process is kind of scary for it because its vulnerable and needs to become accustomed to the new home. But without the transition the crab starts growing. So as artists (and humans in general) we need to get out of our comfort zones to keep growing and learning.

And for the practice part I wanted to try some form studies because Istebrak ist telling everyone to do them. I didn't have much time to do them but at least I did something today, there will be more tomorrow.
I find it really hard to figure out where the light is and what parts of the object are light and thus either shadow, mid tone or highlight or in transition but its something I haven't really done before so its not surprising that I need to grow my form studies shell :)
first form studies.jpg

Sketchbook

Postby JeyRam » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:23 am

JeyRam

AlwaysARookie wrote:
Today I watched some videos of InpursuitofArt and took notes of that. One thing that I found cool was the analogy of growth. He used the picture of a hermit crab that needs to get out of its old shell when it gets too big and needs to find a new and bigger one to keep growing. The transition process is kind of scary for it because its vulnerable and needs to become accustomed to the new home. But without the transition the crab starts growing. So as artists (and humans in general) we need to get out of our comfort zones to keep growing and learning.

Yeaah i love that, heres a link to a video describing that for anyone that wants it https://youtu.be/3aDXM5H-Fuw

Thank you for sharing your thought process and I like how youre drawing from life :D keep it up

Postby AlwaysARookie » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:07 pm

AlwaysARookie

Thank you for the Link :) Its pretty cool to draw from live that way. There were two of us, so we could talk and draw together and I want to do that more often if possible.

Today I wanted to continue with the form studies and had a reference that I pretty much copied. It's definitely easier but also too much "simple" copying instead of the brain having to figure out how the objects and the light interact.
Afterwards I did a tutorial on how to construct the head (the Loomis Method). Theres still front and side view to do and then the process of repeating it without the tutorial to keep it in my head.

Edit: I wasn't really feeling like doing more today but thats one thing I want to conquer: Doing the stuff I know I want to do even when I might not feel like it. I guess thats what is called discipline :)

Thats why I did the front and side view, they are not proportionally correct but I learned from it how to construct the head the Loomis way and can improve from here on. And after starting it felt good to do it, so it was just the initial kick in the ass like it is so often to get started.
form copy.jpg
head.jpg
head 2.jpg
head 3.jpg

Sketchbook

Postby AlwaysARookie » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:19 pm

AlwaysARookie

Today I transitioned to digital head construction with the same method. I struggle with the 3/4 view. A friend of mine said maybe it is because in the tutorial I followed uses lines that wrap around the skull und thus the line for the face is pretty straight which makes it harder to envision a face that is rounder and place the features of the face accordingly.
20161115-head study-0001.jpg
20161115-head study-0002.jpg
20161115-head study-0003.jpg
20161115-head study-0004.jpg
20161115-head study-0005.jpg

Sketchbook

Postby Kam » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:31 pm

Kam

you seem to have a case of symbol drawing and you're (probably) not thinking about forms, to cure symbol drawing one of the best exercises is to simply attempt to replicate something almost exactly, 2d drawing techniques help a lot which ctrlpaint.com has a whole section on that, it was under the traditional drawing section I think,
As for form starting from the ground up and practicing simple geometric forms helps, despite being simple it's actually hard to draw and apply them well, check out this for that subject https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3uEtdDvK6Xo

Postby AlwaysARookie » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:58 pm

AlwaysARookie

Hi, thank you for the video and the explanation. I'll watch it tomorrow. Do you mean form studies like the one in your sketchbook?

Sketchbook

Postby Kam » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:43 am

Kam

Those are one way to go about it, I'd focus on their drawing aspect more first then worry about rendering them later.
you can check this YT channel out, a lot of his tutorials are about drawing form https://www.youtube.com/user/moatddtutorials

Postby AlwaysARookie » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:18 pm

AlwaysARookie

Thanks again. I watched the video from proko and some of Marks stuff just gotta practice it :)
I am not entirely sure what you mean by focussing on the drawing aspect. As far as I get it you mean stuff like drawing boxes in perspective and stuff like that?

I wanted to figure out why the 3/4 views looked so strange and one thing I found was the position of the persons left I (the right to the viewer). Apart from that I just made some doodles while watching some of the videos mentioned. So there should be more tomorrow.
20161116-head study-0001.jpg

Sketchbook

Postby Kam » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:05 am

Kam

You can either define the surfaces of forms with value or cross contour lines, by focusing on the drawing aspect I meant that it's better to draw cross contours first rather than doing form studies with value, think of it as a prequisite to showing form changes with value changes, it's easier and also helps make the latter easier to grasp, google "cross contour drawings" for examples.

there are some people that start with values and that feels easier for them but for most of us that's not the case.

Postby AlwaysARookie » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:51 pm

AlwaysARookie

I really appreciate your explanations

The two cross contour drawings are traced to get a feel for it.

The mans face is half traced for the proportions.

Then there are two form studies (I think thats what they are called). I spend way less time on the ball. Its actually kind of fun to do this stuff.

I watched two of Marks videos. He says that you should think in 3D to get the sense of form and shows alot of excercises on how to gain better control and get to a point where your lines come out the way you want them to.
cross contour drawing 2.JPG
cross contour drawing.JPG
ball.JPG
form study.JPG
face.JPG
1. traced from picture 2. added the rest 3. traced more than 1 to check for mistakes
face  2.JPG
from reference with red traced version to check for mistakes

Sketchbook

Postby kaponsh » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:10 am

kaponsh

Awesome work, you improved so much!

Postby AlwaysARookie » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:28 pm

AlwaysARookie

kaponsh wrote:Awesome work, you improved so much!

Hi, I hope you are not referring to the traced stuff ^^ Thanks for stopping by.

I struggled today so I did some scribbles like just drawing circles and stuff and afterwards some Loomis Faces from Fun with a pencil.
faces.JPG

Sketchbook

Postby Decimus » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:06 pm

Decimus

Hi AlwaysARookie,

I share the similar views on constant learning and growing. Right now im trying to learn how to control myself and adopt the discipline that i've been avoiding most of my life :mrgreen:

Loomis is definitely the way to go, i've dabbled with his method in the past with satisfactory results but i haven't touched it recently so i'll have to relearn it.

By the way you said you wanted music suggestions? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-8Q_afPKWw

Postby AlwaysARookie » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:35 pm

AlwaysARookie

Thank you for the song, its not something I would normally listen to but a nice way to explore new musical frontiers ;)

So today I didn't plan to get anything done because of a university project but then I got home early and although pretty tired didn't want to go to bed without having anything done.

Thats the result.
ball.JPG

Sketchbook

Postby AlwaysARookie » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:12 am

AlwaysARookie

Hi there,

another day and another patch of drawings.

Theres a cross contour drawing, a form study that feels off and a wip portrait (from reference). Its getting late so I'll stop now.
cross contour drawing.JPG
form study.JPG
portrait wip.JPG
from reference

Sketchbook

Postby AlwaysARookie » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:26 am

AlwaysARookie

Some quick and not so quick poses and an update for the portrait. For the portrait I used the reference picture after some time working on it to check for mistakes and corrected some by tracing some parts. The eyes were a bit off and theres still a lot that doesn't really fit for example the eyes are to bright and the form of the head is kind of wrong. I've done a lot of it while talking to people so I am not sure whether I learned or lot or just used mechanical procedures. I also struggle with acurate proportions for the quick poses.

Thats it for today. Have a great day or night (wherever you are) :)
20161121-quick poses-0001.jpg
20161121-quick poses-0002.jpg
20161121-quick poses-0003.jpg
20161121-quick poses-0004.jpg
wip 2.JPG

Sketchbook

Postby Kam » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:31 am

Kam

For the form studies if you're trying to render smooth surfaces you're better off just using the airbrush, it's much quicker and cleaner, for the sake of learning you can put stylistic choices aside and just do it the most efficient way, then you can blend your surfaces with whatever method you like when you're creating drawings, don't forget to use references for those btw, there are a fair number of decent pictures of basic forms in different lightings.

For cross contours make sure your contour lines are wrapping around the forms properly, you're kinda flattening them out a bit especially on that last coil one, don't stress over these exercises too much anyway, they take time to get good at.

Postby AlwaysARookie » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:22 am

AlwaysARookie

Thank you again, Kam. I'll try the airbrush (never used it before :) )

Although it is technically already tomorrow its not really tomorrow unitl you sleep right? ^^

So today didn't really go as planned and I got caught up in some stuff while planning other stuff. Thats why I only got one little drawing which is more like a quick sketch if you can call it that. (It's kind of like the last one not really wrapping around like it should but like I said it was done very quickly)
I even thought about not posting but my goal is to post everyday if somehow possible and it is possible so here goes:
form stuy.JPG

Sketchbook

Postby Renderluz » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:44 am

Renderluz

Your studies are the right kind to be making, just keep this output, and you will see improvement.

Postby AlwaysARookie » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:38 am

AlwaysARookie

Hi Luis, thank you for the encouragement :)

I saw this video today and tried some of the excercises and also made a summary of them to keep it as instruction for future practice.

Apart from that I didn't really do much art stuff.

Sketchbook

Postby AlwaysARookie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:06 am

AlwaysARookie

I tried to use the airbrush as Kam suggested as well as some reference for the study. Its not four different versions but one that evolved. First is top left and last bottom right. It took a while since I never used airbrush before and I am not sure whether I used it correctly. I also continued on the portrait study/copy its also getting better but takes time as the whole learning process :)

I guess I should include more structure studys and not only values but one thing at a time.

The nondigital sketch is from a short bus drive today when I had my sketchbook with me.

One thing I really liked in a video of today was the differentiation of the growth vs. the fixed mindset. Its basically that you think you can learn stuff and keep learning vs. you think that you can't do something and don't even try or give up fast. I knew about it before but the guy in the video also reminded me that its not only about being bad at something and not believing you can learn it but also about being good at something and getting praise and because of that you might be afraid to fail and disappoint people.
vergleich.JPG
face 3.0.JPG
20161124-bus sketch-0001.jpg

Sketchbook

Postby Wyntry » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:38 am

Wyntry

Digging those values. Keep at it, man.
"Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing". -Yamaoka Tesshu
Sketchbook: http://sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9424
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/artofwyntry/

Postby AlwaysARookie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:25 pm

AlwaysARookie

I will, thanks for your comment :)

Heres some more value study, I still don't really get the airbrush and it doesn't seem as finished as the last one. Maybe I'll do some more on it tomorrow.
zylinder.JPG

Sketchbook

Next

Return to Sketchbook