Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby dcobco » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:14 am

dcobco

Subject title: dcobco's sketches

Hello all, my name is Ryo, a designer living in Canadia.

I’ve been drawing on-and-off for some time now, mostly OC’s and half-baked
product renderings. I’ve been watching vids, reading books, loitering around and
practicing sketching absent-mindedly. Well, I’ve taken it easy long enough, and it’s
time I’ve put my foot down and plough on through. Please treat me well!

Note: This post contains a dump of relevant sketches up to this point. I'll probably
update more sparingly from now on. Also, super my bad for wonky scanned images.

Spoiler: show
I love fluid poses. So I tried my hand at it. Needless to say, I was unsatisfied with my
hesitant lines and indecisive forms. They made them kinda... stiff. That needs to be
fixed first, I say.

I began walking in local trails because staying at home all day is doing wonders to my
health. After a while, I decided that I should tote around my sketchbook to do some
drawings.

Since university, I had a strong fondness towards botany and nature, so drawing plants
became my focus for a bit.

But for a healthy growth of skills, it’s necessary to do a little bit of this-and-that.
Seeing that I’m too much of a cheapo to fork over money for life drawing sessions,
I concluded that it was high time to combine my favourite physical activity with sketching.

I’m a plebian-level casual swimmer, so my stamina is absolutely the pits. Which works
in my favour (not that I’m boasting about the lack of physical prowess): I fill my resting
gaps with sketches of sunbathers and lifeguards.

The great thing about doing life-drawing at pools and beaches, is that they hold the
position for about 1 to 5 minute intervals, and they’re doing poses that professional
models do, but looks more comfortable.

On top of that, I got some serious bronzing thanks to the relentless outdoor sketching.

And feeling confident with my mad skillz (that I don't actually have yet), I've decided
to try my hand at an OC that's been swimming in my head. Seeing that I've still a long
way to go, it's time to head back to the fields...

Around this time, I realized that I haven’t been using erasers at all, so I decided to
ditch the pencil (for a while) and start using an ink pen.

It took me a while to get used to drawing with a pen, but I managed to churn out
some stuff in the end. I was so used to the gliding pencil that the toothy feel of the
pen caught me by surprise.

Pokémon GO came out literally that day in Canadia, so it’s obvious that I’ve gotta
go to a relatively busy part of the town to sketch some Pokémon Trainers.

Because of the feisty servers, Pokémon GO users made lots of interesting faces that
was fun to capture. The great thing, was that they were so focused in what they were
doing that I had plenty of time to sketch ‘em all.

With me growing accustomed to drawing people somewhat, I began to look into doing
watercolour sketches (though actually starting is another matter entirely).

One of the YouTuber I’ve come across was a painter named Peter Sheeler. His confident
linework inspired me to go out and sketch buildings and shizz.

When the Pokémon GO servers stabilized, the number of players were insane. I took an
hour or so to draw the peeps

… After a while, I’ve became so overwhelmed that people began to look… comical and
a little bit disfigured. It was around that time that I started to think about taking a
break and head home.

Feeling a little disgruntled ‘bout my sad attempts at drawing buildings earlier, I’ve
gone ahead to see if I could come up with a few based on a building façade I worked
on back in college -- then it degenerated into strange doodles, as it should.

Taking into account what I’ve learned in the past week, I decided to apply the knowledge
to my OC with mixed results.

Feeling a little homesick (?), I went back to pencil only to find that in just a few days, the
pencil feels so foreign to me. Nevertheless, I hammered on with foot studies.

… And the sunbathers and swimmers.

… And the imaginary buildings.

As some sort of retrospection, I've found that forms in my sketches are hard to differentiate,
and sometimes downright painful to the eyes. So my next step is bumping up the lines or start
using fineliners to add weight to my drawings -- that, buildings, plants and watercolours.

Postby Koźlik » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:52 pm

Koźlik

Welcome to the forum! :)

First of all it seems that you're doing great amount of sketches, which is always good.
I like your drawings of people at the beach/swimming pool, also your imaginary buildings look intresting. If you keep that amount of work you'll get better quickly :)

Second of all if you love fluid poses as much as I do, I'd recommend you doing gesture drawings. I have learned from them a lot.
I like to draw girls. If you like girls too, you should check my Sketchbook ^^
There's stuff on my Twitter and Instagram too.
I do streams sometimes, mostly weekends on my Picarto channel.

Postby dcobco » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:24 pm

dcobco

Koźlik wrote:Welcome to the forum! :)

First of all it seems that you're doing great amount of sketches, which is always good.
I like your drawings of people at the beach/swimming pool, also your imaginary buildings look intresting. If you keep that amount of work you'll get better quickly :)

Second of all if you love fluid poses as much as I do, I'd recommend you doing gesture drawings. I have learned from them a lot.

Duly noted! Will try my hand at gesture drawing.

Return to Sketchbook